X-Men: Renewed
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Cantaclarac
Admin
https://xmen-renewed.forumotion.com

Highmauve: The Quad - Page 2 Empty Re: Highmauve: The Quad

Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:10 pm
"I am really sorry about that. I'm normally very careful of where I am going." Noelle watches the group of students playing frisbee, watching as the disc floats between others. She sips her coffee, feeling much more alert She notices Tobi's smile. It's funny. A smile almost doesn't match his face. She could tell that he didn't laugh often. She continues walking toward Hawthorne hall, slowly tensing up again. She did not want to deal with Tamara tonight. Of course, Noelle had the impression that Tamara wasn't the type of college student that would be found in her dorm. Maybe she would have a couple hours of silence.

A frisbee whizzes past her. She deftly dodges it, watching as it lands. The boy who threw it runs by and Noelle dodges him as well.
HerpdaDerp

Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:29 pm
"I see that now," he nods. He watches the frisbee players run past the two of them, the players concentrating only on the disk. There's a desperate grab for it, and the students go down for it, laughing the whole while.

They walk a little farther towards the dorms. The silence isn't uncomfortable, Tobi realises. He enjoys it, this quiet company. Gives him a chance to just enjoy the world and enjoy the company without worrying about what to say or how to say it. She didn't seem put off by his appearance like so many others. It was... Nice.

He can see from here his own dorm and the small crowd building up in front of it. One of the other RAs spots him from the doorway, her hands full of some student's brightly colored luggage. She waves at him, a gesture calling him to hurry up and get his ass over here. Tobi's brow furrows.

"Aw hell, they're early."
Cantaclarac
Admin

Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:41 pm
Noelle walks in silence. She feels a little awkward, worrying that she is making Tobi feel awkward. She liked silence, but she knew that not a lot of people did. While walking, she takes special notes of the pathways, sidewalks, and buildings, comparing them to the map she composed in her head of the campus. The art building, the admin building, and others. When they arrive at the dorms, Noelle notices the RA immediately and frowns. It wasn't so much the RA but the giggling students that accompany her. Their perky ponytails and even perkier smiles as they start to tap on their phones. Noelle was slightly annoyed that they weren't helping bring in their own luggage. But, to each their own.

"Looks like you have to go." Noelle states. She feels a little disappointed. She liked walking with him.
RegMon

Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:13 pm
After a quick tour of the dining hall, Winter snuck away from the tour group. They were boring her anyways. She just wanted to explore and check out campus for herself. So with that, she ran back to her room grabbed her roller blades and ran back down all the steps. She narrowly dodged the other freshman and the RAs who were helping them carry their things. "Sorry!" She called over her shoulders as she sat down on a bench and started taking off her shoes and pulling on her skates. She watched the other freshman. None of them had the mutant tag on them. She frowned a bit. She knew that she wasn't the only one here that was a mutant. There was one in her tour group. The tall awkward looking one. But she has disappeared before the dining hall. She shrugged. She was sure that she would run into her eventually.

Once she was ready, she tied her laces of her shoes and looped them around her shoulders. She stood up and started skating. She traveled down the sidewalk humming to herself. She skated towards where Noelle and Tobi where. She skated around them with a quick "Excuse Me." She skated a bit more before she realized who she had passed. She skated back towards them. "Hey you!' she called out to Noelle. She stopped next to her. "You're the other mutant in my group! You disappeared. I'm Winter!" She pointed to her tag. "I'm a mutant too!" She said with a grin. She pushed her sunglasses to the top of her head to show off her eyes. "What's up?"
Cantaclarac
Admin

Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:23 pm
Noelle blinks at the short, purple-haired girl. The bluntness of the sudden conversation threw her off. She wasn't used to people talking to her just to talk to her. And her eyes- Winter was the first mutant Noelle has met with a physical mutation. Yet, her eyes looked so unnatural, Noelle thought they were contacts for a moment.

There were a couple things that Noelle noticed before she responded. First of all, Winter addressed her as 'Hey you!'. Noelle was put off by that- she found it a little rude. But she pushed past that. Second, "You disappeared!'. Did the Junior that was guiding the group realize that she wasn't there? Would that be noted by her, and in turn, her advisor and program leader? Shit, if that's the case, would she lose her scholarship? That made her head hurt, so she tried to brush that aside as well. Lastly 'What's up?'. Noelle has never been asked that by a peer. It was really odd to hear those words directed at her.

Noelle adjusted her glasses and says, quietly "Oh. Sorry. I got separated from the group."

Her eyes flit to Winter, to the roller blades, and then back to the dorms. She already missed the comfortable silence that she had with Tobi.
RegMon

Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:51 pm
Winter grinned. She noticed that the other girl was observing her. And it took her a bit to respond to her too. Oh well. She was used to this. She had a big personality. "Oh it's not a big deal. The tour guide looked like he didn't even notice. I jumped out early too. I had already seen what I needed to see anyways. I was just about to explore campus on my own." She said, jerking her thumb behind her. "Plus I didnt want to get in the way of those people over there."

She looked at Tobi and saw his tag too. "Oh cool! You're a mutant too!" She looked up at their tags. "Noelle and Tobias... Nice names. So you guys from around here? I'm from Alaska."

She then locked her eyes on their coffee cups. "Oooo coffee shop. Is it any good?" All the time she had a big grin on her face and a sparkle in her lavender eyes.
Cantaclarac
Admin

Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:00 pm
"Maine." Noelle mumbled. Winter's personality had Noelle completely off-balance. She didn't feel completely comfortable with the way that Winter was talking to her. She didn't even ask Noelle's name, she just read it off the tag. To be fair, Noelle should have introduced herself. But that's regardless. Noelle clutches her coffee cup tightly in her hands. She looks at the dorms again, chewing her lip.

Noelle took a deep breath and focuses back on Winter. "And it's alright."
RegMon

Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:20 pm
Winter smiled. "Maine... That's pretty cool." She was completely unaware of how uncomfortable Noelle was. She was not the best at picking up these sorts of social cues. She smiled at her as she held onto her shoes. "So what sort of classes do you have? Maybe we have some together! That would be cool. Ive never really been around many mutants. Not many people up there so not many mutants ya know?"

Cantaclarac
Admin

Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:29 pm
Noelle nods politely and says quietly "I'm an English Major. I've gotta go... Thanks, Tobi."

Noelle starts to walk towards the dorms. She realizes that she will have to work with Winter- The Immersion Program requires frequent meetings, as well as specific classes. But Noelle was already exhausted by Winter. At one time, Noelle considered Alaska a peaceful and quiet place she would like to visit. Now she wasn't so sure.
HerpdaDerp

Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:35 pm
"Aw shucks, you're welcome," Tobi drawls softly. "Text me if y'need anythin'!" He calls after her.

He'd been a little blindsided by the sudden conversation. This late in the day, even the coffee wasn't doin' much to stave off sleep, and it looks like he'd drifted off a bit there. Too much excitement this week.

He looked over the new freshman at the crowd of new residents, each of them sporting multiple bags. He could already feel the ache in his bones he'd have tommorrow.
RegMon

Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:49 pm
That's cool. I'm in management classes. We'll probably have some general eds or something together." She grinned and waved. "Alright. Good meeting ya!" She said with a smile. She placed her hands on her hips. "I'll see you around, right?"
HerpdaDerp

Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:56 pm
"Me?" Tobias asks, his eyes falling on the new freshman. "Yeah, I think so. We got similar stuff they make us take." He shrugs, adjusting his backpack again.

"I'm an RA too, at this dorm." He motions behind her towards the large building. "You'll prob'ly see me at events and things of the sort."
RegMon

Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:34 pm
Winter grinned. "Hey! I live there. On the second floor. I'll most certainly see you around!" She shifted on her skates, keeping her balance expertly. She once again, either ignored or didn't notice his unease with her bold attitude. She was eagerly waiting for him to contribute to the conversation unlike Noelle not that she minded.
HerpdaDerp

Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:06 pm
"Second floor, huh? Must'a missed you on move in day." He says as he runs a hand through his hair. "It's been wild. Haven' gotten much'a break since you guys started pourin' in."

He should have asked for some extra espresso in his coffee, he thinks blearily. He had hoped he'd be able to stave those desperate measures off till at least a few weeks in, but apparently not.
RegMon

Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:11 pm
She waved a non-committal hand. "Eh. It's all good. Got plenty of help from my family. Didn't have much stuff anyways since I came a long ways, ya know?" She looked at all the others who were moving in. "Well. You better enjoy this small break cause a new wave of freshman are coming." She said gesturing back to the dorms. "I'm sure they'll need help."
HerpdaDerp

Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:27 pm
He nods, then tilts his head back and swallows the remainder of his coffee in a couple long pulls. Tobi crushes the cardboard cup in his hand before throwing it in the nearest trashcan.

"Don' I know it." He says. He streches once in a long fluid movemt until something in his shoulders pops and he winces. Finally, he answers the other RA with a quick dismissive wave.

"I'll see you round then, yeah?"
RegMon

Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:32 pm
Winter grinned at him. "Of course! You haven't seen the last of this gorgeous face!" She waved at him. "I'll leave ya to it. I'm off to explore. I'll see you around Tobias!" She said before skating back to where she had been heading before she got distracted. She didnt quite wait for hin to finish his goodbyes
she wasnt that patient. Sbe hummed to herself. What nice people! So far, her first day at college wasn't too bad. Plus .. the sidewalks are super smooth so perfect to roller blading.
HerpdaDerp

Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:43 pm
Tobi watches her leave, shaking his head. Such a varied bunch this year. He then turns and walks towards the hoard of freshman and all the luggage that comes with them. Deciding to start first with the nearest girl, he introduces himself, pulls two of her suitcases up, and starts the journey up the stairs and into the building.
Cantaclarac
Admin

Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:19 am
Monday, September 16th, 2008

5:00 PM

Classes have been going on for almost a week. Most everyone has fallen into the pattern they will follow for the semester. Today, the quad is pretty empty. A few students play frisbee, and there are a couple students jogging or skateboarding. The leaves are yellowing, and a couple have started to fall on the ground. The sky is grey and cloudy, and there is a crisp quality to the air.

Noelle sits underneath a big oak tree, her textbooks laid before her as she does her work silently. Her hair is up in a ponytail, and she wears an opened flannel with a black t-shirt. Her faded jeans are neat but worn. She begins to write in a notebook, a concentrated look on her face.
RegMon

Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:37 am
Winter was walking, lost in thought. They had been given an assignment in Mutant History and Winter was lost as to where to start. She looked down at her notebook which contained her notes for the class. She sighed and looked up to make sure she wouldn't run into anyone. Then she spotted Noelle. She grinned and walked up to her.

"hey! Noelle! I got a question of Mutant History. Think you can help me out?" She asked.
Cantaclarac
Admin

Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:41 am
Noelle doesn't look up but responds "Sure. What's up?"

Since her new budding friendship with Tobi, she's definitely less cold towards everyone. She is still stoic and quiet but her responses are actual responses and not head nods and blinking.
RegMon

Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:47 am
Winter sat down next to her and pulled out the book. "so.. this project we got. We're supposed to do a report on a figure who's important to mutant history but like... Everyone is so extreme one way or the other. I don't want people to get so up in arms when we present the projects."
Cantaclarac
Admin

Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:55 am
Noelle shrugs and sighs. She knew why Winter was having this problem. She figured it out back in eighth grade when she was reading the news and trying to decipher why her classmates either had sympathetic and patronizing tone, or they regarded her as a living piece of garbage.

"Look, if you want to find someone less polarizing, you are going to need to do research on your own. Everyone in the textbook is polarizing because that's how the world sees it. We can't be in the center- we have to be extreme. It gives them a narrative and a story so they don't look at us as real people. For my project, I'm doing it on Penelope Stand. She was a nurse in the civil war that barely has any traction in any textbooks because her abilities didn't have anything to do with what she did. "

Noelle says this matter of factly, not looking up from her books. Her voice is still soft, but there's a steel undertone with it.
RegMon

Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:31 am
Winter sighed as she scratched her head. She didn't catch Noelle's steel undertones. "Gah, that's going to take forever.... There's no way I'm doing Charles Xavier or Magneto. I just wish everyone could get along. You're lucky to look normal. I know that I look mostly normal but I'm different enough to get stares, you know?"

She looked at her notebook. "I'll look it up on the internet I suppose. Thanks for your help." She said sincerely with a big smile. She then looked at what she was working on. "What are you working on?"
Cantaclarac
Admin

Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:39 pm
She almost scoffed at Winter. She didn’t listen to a word that she said. Xavier and Eisenhardt were the most basic choices. And the opposite on the spectrum. The fact that Winter blatantly ignored her advice frustrated her to no end.

As Winter continues, Noelle’s eyes shoot up with frustration. ‘You’re lucky to look normal. I know I look mostly normal, but I’m different enough to get stares’. Noelle didn’t feel lucky. She knew her privilege, she knew that she looked the part of a regular young woman. But her powers elicited a reaction that made her unable to be a part of a normal student body for over a decade. She still got stares from anyone that saw what she could do.

And she’s seen the boys who stare at Winter. They aren’t looking at her eyes. And for Winter to try and make it sound like her life was worse because she had odd colored eyes filled Noelle with contempt.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum