X-Men: Renewed
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Cantaclarac
Admin
https://xmen-renewed.forumotion.com

Highmauve: Library, Study Room D Empty Highmauve: Library, Study Room D

Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:28 pm
September 5th, 2008

6:00 PM

The Library at Highmauve school was small but extensive. The oak shelves were crammed with books of all subjects and sizes. Things are slightly disorganized- the TO BE SHELVED cart was filled to the brim, as the two librarians who ran the building were in their late 70s. The building is three floors. Each floor has scattered study tables, but only the third floor had study rooms. The rooms were moderate sized but with large windows that looked out onto the beautiful campus. Each room was equipped with a study table that fit 7 students, an armchair, a small bench, and a whiteboard. The carpet was a worn red, and the walls were painted beige.

Dr. Theo Kolgrowith strides into study room D, and carefully places a sign that reads 'Mutant Immersion Program Meeting' on the door. Theo was older, probably in his mid to late 50s, with deep smile lines and crows feet that outlined friendly brown eyes. His most distinguishing feature was his mutation- He looked like he was composed of 4 different animals. His face was fairly human- walnut-colored skin, bushy white eyebrows, and wispy white hair, but starting down his neck, he grew thick black hair, not unlike a poodle. His left arm was also covered in curly black fur, complete with clipped claws at the end of each finger. His right arm was almost reptilian- iridescent green scales that shined many colors against the light, ending with his fingertips, which were yellow talons. Although not visible, his legs have similar abnormalities- His left leg was almost as if it was made of thick black smoke, and his right leg was composed like a spring where his knee should be. He wears a Grey suit with a black turtleneck, and his horn-rimmed glasses shined in the light. He adjusts his "Program Leader" badge and begins to write on the whiteboard in neat handwriting "Meeting 1: Welcome!'

Noelle walks in quietly and sits down in the red armchair near the back. She wears a pair of pale blue jeans and a button-down grey-blue blouse. Her hair is neatly brushed, and her messenger bag rests across her chest. She looks at Theo and doesn't allow her confusion and fear come across her face. He was definitely the most mutant-like mutant she's seen yet. She looks down in her old leatherbound book, busing herself.

A couple more mutant kids with various physical mutations start to come into the room.
RegMon

Highmauve: Library, Study Room D Empty Re: Highmauve: Library, Study Room D

Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:55 pm
Winter strutted in as if she owned the place and sat down at the table next to one of the other mutants. She grinned and introduced herself to her neighbor. She was in her regular jeans with a t-shirt that sported a Green Day album cover. Her sunglasses were perched on top of her purple hair. She looked up at the professor. Now this was something interesting! He was like the mutants you would see on TV and she just thought that it was utterly amazing. She looked around the room at the others in the Immersion program to see if she recognized anyone.

There was one girl who lived down the hall from her. And a boy who she had met previous in the cafeteria. She turned around and say the tall girl who had been in her tour group.... Noelle! That was her name. Winter grinned at her and waved excitedly. Noelle was shy so she figured a friendly face was all she needed to see. "Hey Noelle!" She chirped happily.
Cantaclarac
Admin

Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:01 pm
Noelle looks up at Winter in alarm. She gives her a polite nod, and returns to her book, but not really reading anything. She just wanted to avoid talking to anyone for this entire meeting. She bites her lip, avoiding eyes with everyone. To be truthful, she was curious about the others in the room but decided it was safer to just stay quiet.

Dr. Kogrowlith smiles at Winter and shakes her hand firmly with his black and furry hand, giving her a wide smile. "Thank you so much for joining us tonight. We will get started soon, I promise." His voice is kind and warm.
RegMon

Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:13 pm
Winter firmly shook his hand, seemingly not bothered by his furry hand. Honestly, it felt like shaking a gloved hand so it didn't matter to her. "Hey no problem. Just glad I made it." She sat down after waving to Noelle. She didn't quite notice the alarmed look on her face. She wasn't really looking for it either. She was too focused on the meeting ahead. Meeting other mutants! This will be a blast!
HerpdaDerp

Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:17 pm
The door opens and Tobi slides inside, looking worse for wear. He sees the professor at the front of the room and gives him a lazy wave. "Class across campus." He gives as way of an explanation. His boots are caked with dry mud as if he's run through every manicured lawn and flowerbed trying to get to the meeting on time. He really wishes these were held outside, the study rooms were a bit small for his tastes. Never overbearingly so, but uncomfortable.

"Sorry, sorry," he murmurs low as he steps around the room, looking for a seat. He finds an open one at the table near a window and sits down, shuking his leather jacket so that he's only now wearing the threadbare hoodie underneath. He sets his large coffee on the table and sets about rifling through his book bag for a pen and something to write on.
Cantaclarac
Admin

Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:28 pm
Dr. Kolgrowlith smiled at Tobi "No worries! Thank you for arriving just in time!"

He looked around as everyone filed in. With everyone there, there were about 20 students in total. He gave a grand smile and said "Welcome! My name is Dr. Theo Kolgrowlith. I am a new History professor here at Highmauve, and I just wanted to say that I am so glad you are here. For decades, there has been a push to create more mutant friendly places, where we can coexist with humanity, and I am so proud that I get to be a part of it! We will soon introduce ourselves, but first I have a few things I would like to say."

Noelle watched him, with rising interest. She was also glad to see the number of people surrounding her. And Dr. Kolgrowlith seemed like a really nice man. Maybe this wouldn't be as bad as she thought.

Kolgrowlith cleared his throat and smiles "As members of this program, you are expected to be a part of a certain number of classes related to this program. I would highly encourage you to sign up ASAP, as anyone who hasn't will be reconsidered for the program. Classes include Mutants Throughout History, Mutant Physiology and Anatomy, Mutant Genetics, and much more. You also must sign up for a number of clubs. There are many different types of clubs that cater to all personalities and interests. You must attend at least half of the meetings for each club." His eyes darken for a moment "Also, please do not use your abilities to give yourself an unfair advantage in any athletic, academic, or artistic pursuits. For this program to grow, we must cooperate with the powers that be." Kolgrowlith's smile returns "Alright- Winter would you like to start? Tell us your name, major, and what your mutation is if that is alright."

Noelle's stomach tightened. She has to tell everyone?
RegMon

Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:41 pm
Winter watched as Tobias the RA came into the room and sat down. She smiled at him as he got himself situated before focusing back on the professor. She listened intently as he briefly explained what they were required to do. Not too bad. She was planning on joining a club anyways and plus, taking an extra class on mutants would be fun. This will be easy, she thought herself. Of course, she didnt quite have to worry about using her powers to get ahead as her powers didn't really help her all that much in school except to help her study at night without raising the electric bill.

When he called upon to start, she grinned and stood up to face the rest of the room. "Hey! I'm Winter Marta. I'm in business management and my mutation is my purple eyes and I can making glowing orbs with my hands!" She said brightly. "My hair is totally from a box of hair dye in case you're wondering. Not apart of the mutation." She waved and sat back down, eager to hear the others as they introduced themselves.
Cantaclarac
Admin

Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:47 pm
Kilgrowlith smiles at her "Wonderful. Alright, Penny?"

The students go around and around, introducing themselves. One girl had luminescent butterfly wings, another girl had horns and fangs. Some looked like normal kids. Noelle watched with fascination and anxiety as the introductions finally got to her. She swallowed and kept her eyes down "Uh. Hello. I'm Noelle. Noelle Scott. English Major. I.. I, uh, can read things aloud, and they.. appear. Manifest. However, you want to say it."

Noelle is bright red and holding onto the bottom of the armchair, but meets Kilgrowth's eyes and relaxes a little bit. At least it was over. She was actually a little interested in hearing Tobi's abilities. Although she seemed to have a good idea. He seemed unnaturally intuned with the world around him. It probably had something to do with that. She also though Winter's abilities to be interesting. Glowing orbs: sounds something out of a cheesy teen romance movie.

Eventually the introduction line makes it's way to Tobi.
HerpdaDerp

Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:02 am
"Oh, already?" Tobi stands and kicks his chair out a little to better make room for himself. "Christian name's Tobias Rudolf Maynard, though I go by Tobi. Easier ta' say. Major's Premed. I, well... heck."

He catches himself, looks like he's searching for the right words. "I can, become the enviornment I'm in, if that makes any sort'a sense. Feel what it feels, see what it sees, smell what it smell, and so on. Can change a bit a it too, if i'm feelin' partial to migranes for the next week'a two." He reaches up to rub the back of his neck as he sits back down.

"Kinda odd ta' explain.
Cantaclarac
Admin

Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:12 am
Noelle listens, fascinated. Her eyes follow Tobi and hang on to each word. That must be so easy to become overstimulated, but he was so laid back. She had to talk to him about it.

Kilgrowlith grins "Well, it looks like everyone has introduced themselves. I won't take too much of our time anymore, but we will have monthly meetings in here, checking in on you. But you are all so special and I am so excited to see what will come of this year!"

One redheaded girl with glasses and bright blue eyes raises her hand "What about you? What's your mutation?" Noelle thought the question a little obvious.

Kilgrowlith nods "Great question. I seem to have missed myself. As you can see, my genetic makeup is made of something... different from most humans. And all animals. I am an amalgamation of many different creatures with various advantages and disadvantages. This arm-" He lifts the one with black fur "Is much stronger than the average arm. And this one-" He lifts the other "Has glands that produce a sticky sap that ensnares most insects and if there is enough, people. And so on and so forth. " He grins "If you have any questions, please let me know! Send me an email. Thank you!"

Kilgrowlith smiles and opens the door. He is one of the last to leave, as well as Noelle. She waits for the group to taper out before she leaves.
HerpdaDerp

Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:37 am
Tobi stands and gathers himself. He throws his notebook back inside his backpack and tosses his pen in soon after. It bounces off something inside with a metallic 'clink'.

The leather jacket is pulled on, soft worn material sliding easily over the hoodie and settling on his frame with ease. He shifts his backpack up and over his shoulders and starts for the door. He's eager to leave; unease is pulling his chest tight and dragging him towards that door.

He can see Noelle there, he heard her speak earlier. Poor girl, introductions are always rough. He crosses the last few steps towards her.

"Noelle, pleasure ta' see you 'gain."
Cantaclarac
Admin

Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:26 am
Noelle looks up at Tobi and nods. She says a soft "Hey." She looks uncomfortable and tense. Chewing her lip,  Noelle slowly puts her things back in her bag, but glances at Tobi. He also seemed tense but in a very different way. He seemed to want to get out quickly.
HerpdaDerp

Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:29 am
Tobi waits for her to pack her things while he hovers by the entrance. One steel toed boot kicks the door open softly and keeps it that way.

"You wanna walk out together? I don't got nothin' else today, jus' might sign up for a club or somethin'." The low drawl is as smooth as ever. The only indication he's less than completely at ease is the tight grip he has on the strap of his backpack.
Cantaclarac
Admin

Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:07 pm
Noelle notices his tight grip, and she nods silently. She stands up slowly and walks out of the room without saying goodbye to the professor.

Noelle steps out of the room, waiting for Tobi. Once he is next to her, she walks down the stairs, her eyes lingering on the bookshelves. She wrinkles her nose at the disorganization- maybe she could get a job here or something. She could use the money. After a while, she asks Tobi quietly "What clubs are you signing up for?"
HerpdaDerp

Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:30 pm
Tobi watches Noelle's disapproval of the library shelves. He's quietly amused; it's well known that the organizational system of the library leaves a lot to be desired. It's never bothered him, but he can imagine Noelle would be annoyed, as fond of books as she seems to be.

"Dunno yet. Prob'ly track or archery or somethin' like that. Something outdoors." He looks over at her. "You got anything in mind for yours?"
Cantaclarac
Admin

Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:44 pm
Noelle sighed. She had no idea what club to join: she didn't really like being around others, and she doubted the university had a 'Sit down and read quietly' club. She thought for a moment "If there is like... a writers club? Or maybe even a... crafting club? I don't know."

Noelle doesn't really tell people about her arts and crafts interests. She loved scrolling on Etsy or reading old crafting books. Something about creating from nothing soothed her.
HerpdaDerp

Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:53 pm
Tobi's brows knit together in thought. "I'm pretty sure there's somethin' like that. Least there should be, some sort of art club. I seen their flyers round campus."

"You craft?" He asks after a pause.
Cantaclarac
Admin

Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:26 pm
Noelle's ears turn a bit red and she nods. They walk in silence for a couple moments and then she says slowly "Yeah. It's something that my mom and my sister would do together. It's one of the few things that we do as a family..." This was the most she has ever opened up to anyone outside her family. She clutches her bag as they step outside. The sky is grey and there is a soft rumble of thunder. Rain drizzles onto Noelle's face, which was strangely relaxing.
HerpdaDerp

Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:22 pm
"Well that's pretty nice. Family sounds right cute." Toby nods. "Miss hanging out w' my own sister."

He looks up as they step outside. The thunder rolls overhead, followed by a quick flash of lightning. Rain pours, the two of them getting more and more wet the further from the building they get while wind rustles through the trees in a loud whoosh. Tobi's lips tilt up, his eyes crinking at the edges in a genuine smile as the rain drips down his face.

"Well idn't that jus' gorgeous. First big storm of the school year."
Cantaclarac
Admin

Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:27 pm
We are a cute family, Noelle silently agrees. She already missed them terribly, but she would never admit that. Joy, her kid sister, was supposed to be getting braces in a couple weeks. A monumental moment and Noelle wouldn't get to be there. It was one of the first times that she wasn't there for her sister. Noelle started to wonder what Tobi's sister was like. Maybe she also had that crazy hair and that look of constant suffering.

As the rain starts to pick up, Noelle notices Tobi's glee. While she was happy for him, she was starting to resemble a drowned rat. As much as she like rain, being caught in a downpour without an umbrella was not optimal. As her hair gets stringy, she tries to pull it up in a ponytail, but her glasses keep slipping.
HerpdaDerp

Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:45 pm
Tobi thinks of his sister, of her own affinity for thunderstorms. He and her used to run outside against their mas better wishes to sludge through puddles of mud and watch the bright flashes of light that lit up the night sky followed the harsh beat of thunder. He remembers her now, kicking up puddles in his thick boots and watching the sky above him. His curls, which normally sit in a fuzzy halo around his head, are getting plastered to his forehead with the rain. He pushes up his glasses as an impromptu headband just to keep the worst away from his eyes. There's a chill in the rain made sharper by the wind that cuts through the trees, and Tobi is delighted by it.

He looks over to see that his walking partner isn't having the kind of time he is. 'Heck', he thinks to himself before shrugging off his leather jacket and holding it above her. Shouldve considered that other people like watching the rain from indoors, not out.

"You look fit to drown, if you don't mind me sayin' so." He says, a bit apologetic.
Cantaclarac
Admin

Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:52 pm
Noelle lets a laugh escape her. She didn't know why the comment was so genuinely funny to her. It might have been the accent, it might have been the how completely genuine the comment was. She wasn't sure, but she couldn't help but let a bubble of laughter escape her lips. "It's fine. I wouldn't mind walking with you a while, but I need an umbrella- and maybe a sweater." She lifts her arms, as a waterfall of rain escapes from her blouse sleeves. She also takes off her glasses, takes out her case and puts them away carefully into her bag.

The rain personally reminded her of the many times that her own sister would play in the mud, creating pies and cookies from the gunk, presenting it to Noelle like a prize. Joy loved playing outside, and Noelle always obliged.
HerpdaDerp

Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:20 pm
Tobi's eyes widen at the laugh, before settling into something much softer. He's relieved she's not annoyed with him. More than that, it's the first time he's seen her laugh. None of that anxious nervousness from before. He watches her pull up her arms only to have water gush from the fabric and he too can't help it. He lets a quick snort of laughter escape.

He gestures with one arm into the rain, towards the sodden campus and the dorms. "Well then let's get'ya that sweater." He picks lightly at his hoodie, much soggier now that his jacket was off. "I could do with somethin' a little dryer too."
Cantaclarac
Admin

Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:29 pm
Noelle's eyes glitter at his laugh. She liked having Tobi with her. He made her feel safe and secure, and definitely less anxious. She nods at the jacket above her "It's okay. I'm already wet. Can't get much worse, you know?" She looks at the empty campus: everyone had run indoors because of the storm, which also comforted her.

When they got to the doors, Noelle squeezes the rain out of her long, light brown hair. Water smatters on the ground and she steps inside into warmth. As soon as she does, she runs right into her roommate Tamara. Tamara is of average height, but stick thin with thick blonde hair pulled into a side braid. Her blue eyes are a little dull but they match her button-like nose. Tamara crosses her arms and rolls her eyes, tapping her foot. Noelle immediately retreats back into her nervousness and mutters and soft "Sorry Tamara." Tamara scoffs and walks past her.
HerpdaDerp

Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:02 pm
Tobi shakes himself off outside the door. He's not in this dorm a whole lot, but he's appreciating it a whole lot right now. He's sopping wet and looking even more unkempt than usual. His glasses are pushed up to his forehead, exposing his sharp, cold eyes. He begins to open the door when he hears Noelle's soft apology, then steps through the dorm door in the same moment someone tries to walk out. They collide, the impact sending the person to the floor and leaving Tobi standing solidly in the dorm entrance, door still open and rain pounding behind him.

Mentally, he sighs. 'Seems to be the week for this.' he thinks.

He looks down at the polished tiled floor. There's a freshman there he hasn't seen before.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum