X-Men: Renewed
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Cantaclarac
Admin
https://xmen-renewed.forumotion.com

Highmauve: Tobi's Dorm - Page 2 Empty Re: Highmauve: Tobi's Dorm

Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:58 pm
A couple hours later, Noelle stirs. The blanket has wrapped around her like a hug, so she clutches the quilt tightly to her. She rubs her eyes, squinting around her, trying to figure out where she was. She realizes she's in Tobi's room and looks at his snoozing form. She turns bright red and quickly wipes her drool from her cheek and lips. Scratching her hair, she looks around for her glasses. Once she finally finds them, she puts them on carefully, yawning quietly. Her eyes flick to Tobi and her heart melts.

The low timbre of his breath was felt on her toes, and she watched as his chest raised and lowered. She wanted so badly to just lay there with him and sleep for just a little bit longer.

You could.

The thought sunk in. With the blanket around her, she almost put her head on his arm again and sleep until the morning. She bites her lip but starts to put her book away. She grabs her cell phone and pulls it out. Her eyes widen. A dozen texts and a couple of missed calls. Her throat started to close up and her eyes water. She begins to listen to the messages, tears falling to her cheeks.

Evan isn't yelling into the phone, but his voice is loud enough that it carries. Really Noelle? Really? I sat here for two hours waiting for you. I've been worried sick. How could you stand me up like that? I've got a huge test tomorrow and I'm probably gonna fail because of you. Seriously, call me back." The others are like that as well. The get more passive aggressive as the calls go. Noelle sits there, frozen in anxiety.
HerpdaDerp

Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:28 am
The voice from the phone is just loud enough in the quiet of the room to stir Tobi into semi-wakefulness. His body shifts and stretches in the space of the couch he's carved out for himself, and a snore is aborted halfway through.

"Ngh," he grumbles, voice low and sleepy. His drawl is much thicker when he's tired. "Ain't nah time t'get up. Get ya..." he yawns, pauses, restarts his sentence. "Stay right on here." He blinks once, listening to the voice on the phone. "Who there, you brin'in folks on o'er here? Get 'em out." he sinks back into the couch and waves his hand dismissively towards the voice he doesn't recognize. "My time wit'chu."

He leans on the couch for a moment more before something pulls at him from his gut. Something doesn't seem right here. He sits up again and blinks the sleep out of his eyes, and then he sees Noelle listening to her phone with silent tears rolling down her cheeks. His stomach sinks at the sight.

"Noelle?" he asks softly. "E'erything alright?"
Cantaclarac
Admin

Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:35 am
Noelle doesn't respond for a moment. The tears roll down her cheeks for a second longer, and then she quickly wipes them away. "I have to go. I'm sorry."

Her voice is low and broken into pieces. Evan was really upset and it was all her fault. She was irresponsible and didn't keep herself awake. She didn't tell Tobi to wake her. She dug herself into this hole. Hands shaking, she grabs her bag at a snail's pace, holding her tears back.

You're pathetic. The thought rolls itself back and forth in her mind, from one side to another. Back and Forth. Spiraling into a void that just repeated everything she feared and hated about herself. Your fault. Your responsibility.
HerpdaDerp

Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:48 am
Now he's worried.

"Noelle, darlin', what's got y'inna rush? Someone in trouble?" He reaches out a hand to cover hers, tries to meet her eyes with his own and offer some semblance of comfort.
Cantaclarac
Admin

Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:57 am
Noelle looks into his eyes; her's are full of anxiety/ But the calm a little as soon as his hand touches hers "I... I have to go... I overslept and Evan was waiting for me... I have to go call him or meet him or something."

Her heart slows from its breakneck pace, but her eyes well up with tears again. She can't believe that she messed this up so badly. And now Tobi was worried about her. She tried her best to suck all of her emotions back inside, but they remain outward. Hands shaking, she stays put, looking at Tobi. The quilt is still around her like a cape, and her hair is a mess on the top of her head. She chews her lip, which is holding back a sob.
HerpdaDerp

Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:11 am
The sinking feeling in Tobi's chest burns at the thought that it was Evan who made Noelle cry like this, panic like this. 'That boy ain't worth the shit I scrape off m'boots if this is what he's doin' to her.' he thinks. He's mad as hell, ready to ruin his probably perfect teeth and put a dent in that pretty nose. Anger coils in his chest, constricts around his heart; he wants to make that sunofabitch pay. Right now though, in this moment, he's got higher priorities.

"Noelle, it's 2:30 in the mornin'." he says softly, slowly. "Y'don' gotta go nowhere. No one's up 'cept us." He finds every ounce of comfort and patience he has in him, finds that part of himself that attracts animals and children alike. His steady hands curl around hers. "You're alright."
Cantaclarac
Admin

Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:20 am
Noelle chokes back a sob and shakes "Tobi- he's probably worried. I don't... I don't want to worry him."

While anger coiled in Tobi's chest, anxiety and fear made her chest feel tight. She squeezes his hand for support, her shaking transferring from her fingertips. She remembered the hug from the evening before- she wrapped her arms around his neck, crying into his shoulder. Noelle needed him there to keep her tethered to the here and now.

You're being dramatic. Stop it. She couldn't. No matter how hard she tried, she couldn't stop her tears from flowing or from her fears having such a tight clutch on her. It's always been like that ever since she was young. And it would always be like that.

In her lap, her phone starts to vibrate. Despite it being 2:30, Evan was giving her a call. She doesn't notice it at first, as she trembles in Tobi's arm.
HerpdaDerp

Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:33 am
Tobi leans into the hug easily. She's clinging to him desperately and he's more than willing to provide any sort of support she needs. His arms circle around her in a tight hold, one of them coming up only to stop and hesitate. After a moment of debate, he starts to thread his fingers through her hair.

"It's alright," he repeats. "You're alright. Y'ain't do nothin' wrong." His voice rumbles through his thick frame as he tries his best to bring her down from her panicked high.

He notices the phone before she does. Steel grey eyes narrow at the offending device before he subtly shifts the two of them in such a way that he hopes will knock the phone to the floor. 'Dipshit.' he thinks at the caller on the other end.
Cantaclarac
Admin

Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:46 am
Noelle cries into his shoulder, burrowing herself into him. Her mind was racing with thoughts, but the vibrations of his voice and solid presence holds her into the present. She breathes in deeply.

With his subtle shift, the phone falls to the floor, but not before hitting Noelle's left foot as it traveled down. She breaks the hug, looking at it. The caller ID read Evan Richardson, and it vibrated with an even tone. A warning. Noelle slowly picked up the phone and held it in her hand for a moment. She looks at Tobi, trying to find solace and an inner peace so maybe she didn't have to pick up. But she isn't strong enough. She answers

"I'm so sorry I- Yeah. I know. I.. I was-" She breaks off in silence. Evan is on the other end, expressing his disappointment and frustration with her. It goes on for a while. And Noelle sits there, taking it all in. A few words carry past Noelle's ears, sounding tinny and far away.

"I looked like an idiot just sitting there all... I was counting on you... How the hell was I supposed to know... You need to listen and... If this is going to happen..."

There isn't anything really incriminating, which causes Noelle's thoughts to turn on her. He was right. You didn't do what you're supposed to. And now he might leave you because of something you did,  so you better fix it fast.

These thoughts are displayed on her face clearly. She wipes her tears, preparing to apologize.

Last edited by Cantaclarac on Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
HerpdaDerp

Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:19 am
Tobi catches her glance when she looks to him before answering the phone. 'Don't,' he silently begs. 'Ain't gonna fix anything.' She either doesn't understand or doesn't listen, as she answers the insistent vibrating. It won't do a lick of good; man like that is just looking for a reason to be angry, and Noelle, bless her, is such an easy target.

He watches her answer the phone. He watches her face fall, watches her peace evaporate, watches any happiness she was feeling before disappear as if it were never there in the first place. In that moment, that space between expressions, he remembers what he had thought as she fell asleep in his arm. His fondness for her bubbling over, how she had looked wrapped in his quilt, against his shoulder, and in his space. Her glasses askew and her hair a mess. Her excitement when talking about books as well as her easy, companionable silence. How she had become a friend that he trusted, one that he could talk to, someone who could understand him and not judge him for his speech, his paranoia, or his abilities. She was someone who believed in him, and she deserved someone who believed in her back.

And god damn, this boy on the other end of the line sure ain't that.

He sees her cycle through a litany of negative thoughts directed towards herself and knows she's gearing up to apologize to the boy who created the problem in the first place. So he does what he can.

He grabs her hand, pulls it towards himself so that her focus is on him. Looks her dead in the eyes, serious as sin, and shakes his head.

"Don't." he says, strong and even.
Cantaclarac
Admin

Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:29 am
Noelle was just about to open her mouth when Tobi grabs her hand. Her eyes are full of fear and tight anxieties, and her mouth moves in a wordless sputter.

She had a choice she needed to make. She could apologize to Evan-smooth things over and move on. Or hang up the phone and deal with it later. Deal with it with Tobi next to her. She knew what she wanted, but she knew what she was going to choose.

That didn't mean she couldn't hold her ground a little bit.

"Okay. I hear you. Yes. I'll see you in the morning. You've got a test. You need to sleep. Yep. Okay." The words are plain and almost without emotion. Her voice almost cracks on the word sleep, but she endures. "Okay. Okay. Goodnight."

She hangs up the phone, too ashamed to look at Tobi. The anxiety comes back like a train, hitting her in the chest. Her breath becomes faster. She curls up her knees to her chin. She wanted to focus on anything but Evan and that phone call.
HerpdaDerp

Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:50 am
Tobi listens to her on the phone. It isn't exactly what he had hoped for, but seems like an improvement at least. This Evan don't even deserve that, least he thinks so. He don't deserve anything other than a few broken teeth, but hey, Tobi wasn't the one making that call. Noelle don't need another angry man right now, so he evens himself out and calms himself down.

"Hey, you did good." He says to her. "You alright. Nothin' bad ain't gonna happen." He sees her breathing quicken and come out in shuddering breaths. He knows a panic attack when he sees one; been on the other end of a few a couple times.

"Noelle, darlin', what'dya need from me?" He asks her slow and steady. "How can I help?"
Cantaclarac
Admin

Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:10 am
She sniffs and stares at him, shaking. What she needed was a distraction, so she didn't think about Evan or meeting him.

"I need... Can you just... I just need something else to focus on."

What she really wanted to do was hold onto Tobi for support- to have him talk to her about anything besides this, to fall asleep and forget all about this, even if it was only for now. Noelle knew that she wasn't going to break up with Evan that morning, She caved underneath pressure way to easy, and honestly, she felt like Evan was settling for her. She felt that if she left, she wouldn't find anyone ever again.
HerpdaDerp

Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:29 pm
"Sure thing." He nods and settles back into he couch. One arm reaches behind him for the other quilt. Once retrieved, he throws it over the two of them. His arm comes up to drape over Noelle's shoulders and pull her closer to his side. He leaves it there, a heavy, hopefully comforting weight. Tobi's content to be a warm, solid body to cry on if that's what she needs right now.

"Now les'see..." He hums in thought. "What t'tell ya? What t'tell?" He thinks for a minute. She just needs words, any sort, don't matter what kind, so he starts with what's familiar.

"I ever tell you 'bout the first times Agnes and I used our powers?" He pauses, snorts out a small laugh. "She'd kill me if she knew I was tellin' you this."
Cantaclarac
Admin

Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:46 pm
The arm and quilt made Noelle feel small. That wasn’t an easy feat, as her stature and gawkiness made her tree-like. She curled herself up, her cheek to Tobi’s chest. It felt comfortable and... right. Like two puzzle pieces that connected perfectly. His solid weight held her down, slowing down her shaking and breath. She still trembled into him, but it wasn't as violent. The thoughts that swirled around in her thoughts became more muffled. She would deal with them later if she needed to.

She looks up at him but doesn't meet his eyes “No... you haven’t...” Noelle felt as if Tobi knew so much about her, but her knowledge of him had been picked up from small glimpses and observations. His closeness to his sister. His dog. His quilts. His music. It painted a fuzzy picture of Tobi in her mind that was not yet complete. Noelle wanted to be able to add an actual memory or story to that portrait of the large, forest guardian that she was so fond of.
HerpdaDerp

Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:14 pm
"Awright." he says low. "We were both pretty young. Not like there were any doubt whether'r not we'd turn out that way, considering our Ma and Pa." he closes his eyes with a fond smile. "Mine was pretty standard I guess, weren't even tryin' t'use it. M'pa and I were out huntin' in the woods, like y'do. Sun was gettin' low in the sky, paintin' it all sorts a colors, but we ain't caught anything yet t'eat." His voice is soft and low, easing back into a thick drawl. "Cold day too, I 'member that. Little bit'a snap in the air."

"Anyway," he continues. "It were gettin' late, and my Pa were disappointed. Y'know how you can just tell with parents when they feeling that way? He was disappointed, and I ain't one to fail. So I'm getting more desperate ta catch anything, looking round, and then I see him. Big, gorgeous buck, long way away." He pauses, gathering his thoughts. "Best one I seen all day, only one I seen all day, but he's way too far. But I was des'prete, and that's when I felt it." He smiles with an emotion that's hard to place. There's a melancholy there, nostalgia, longing, and pain.

"Everything. Little me din't know shit, went way too deep way too fast. I had fingers in everythin', and I pulled hard on those strings. I made everything line up jus' perfect to take that shot; the trees, the wind, the earth, hell, even the animals. I made that buck stand still and look me dead cold 'fore I pulled that trigger and put a bullet right tween his eyes." He lets out a long breath. "Don' remember much else after that. Ness tells me I was out cold for a couple days, had migranes 'fer weeks. I jus' know it hurt like a sonuvuh bitch for a long while after." There's a long pause.

"Ness just got startled by a 'coon in our trashcan. Next thing we know, there's an eight foot tall deer lookin' thing in our yard on it's ass."

He shakes his head with a small chuckle. "She fuckin' hates that it ain't as dramatic as mine."
Cantaclarac
Admin

Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:26 pm
Noelle hangs onto every word that Tobi says. She's partial to a storyteller- when someone can craft a narrative and spin it into something beautiful, Noelle had the utmost respect for them. And the story he tells is simple but has a hint of something... special. Slowly, she stops shaking and stays absolutely still, listening. She can hear his heartbeat through his chest, pulling her into a calm state. Once he gets to the part about how he pulled on the strings of the world around him, she finally is able to meet his eyes with her own.

Wow. Tobi's manifestation story was so much more fascinating than her own.

Once he tells Agnes' story, Noelle lets out a small laugh. It escapes her with a deep breath- it sounds something between a cough and a chuckle. "That's incredible. And I'm not going to judge your sister. I've been scared of a wide number of embarrassing things."
HerpdaDerp

Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:44 pm
She laughs, and yup, that's what he was looking for. His arm tightens around her a little more securely. She's looking up at him when she speaks next, complementing his story and laughing at his sister. There's something that her wide eyes and sincere praise do to him, and he looks away so she can't see the spreading flush across his cheeks and nose.

"It ain't that incredible. Damn near killed myself 'fore I killed that deer." he says with a playful huff.

"But Ness is a park ranger now though," he continues. "Scared of a raccoon? She'd never live it down, never has with us. Parents still send 'er somethin' raccoon themed e'ery year for Christmas."
Cantaclarac
Admin

Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:53 pm
"Really? They do?" She's doing whatever she can to not think about Evan and the next morning. She hoped that Tobi wasn't tired- Noelle was doubtful that she would sleep at all if she went back to her dorm. She desperately wanted to stay here, with Tobi, forever. She curls up as his arm tightens. It was safe and warm and what she wanted. Her breathing was completely back to normal though she looks a little pale.

"I love it. Your life is so interesting... I'm glad you didn't die, by the way." Her voice is a little hoarse from her crying earlier. She pulls out her arm and quickly pulls her hair down. It lands on her face at first, covering it completely. She tries to brush it away from her eyes, he best she can, but it's tangled up enough that it's a futile attempt. She lets out a small noise of defeat, and relaxes again, half her face covered in her mousey brown hair that is now tangled into her glasses. "I give up..."
HerpdaDerp

Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:23 pm
"Sure do, " he replies. He leaves out how it's not usually something cute like pajama pants or stuffed animals, but something pretty fucking weird. His sister had a whole shelf in her apartment lined with homemade taxidermy, raccoon skulls, a little jar of assorted raccoon teeth, jewelry, and more. His personal favorite was the box of dried raccoon hands that his Pa had sent a few years back. Ness had screamed when she opened the box, but later that night they had gotten hammered out of their minds on the moonshine their Ma had also packed and made terrible crafts out of them. "We showed them how t'use the postal service 'fore they left, so we get letters and gifts pretty regular." He goes on.

He gets distracted as she struggles with her hair. The blush burns as he stares at her try to untangle the mess in front of her face, that unidentifiable feeling blooming once more in his chest. She gives up, but something in him draws his hand forward to pull gently at her glasses. "Pardon," he says quietly. Rough, calloused fingers untangle her frames from her with a deft grace and a careful consideration to not pull too hard. Finally, the glasses come free and he places them as best he can back on her nose in front of her wide eyes.

There's a little bit of hair still in the way of her face. He doesn't even think about it, just brushes it back to the side of her face and tucks it neatly behind her ear. "There." he says, satisfied.
Cantaclarac
Admin

Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:43 pm
Noelle stays absolutely still as his hands untangle the glasses. She breathes heavily, her eyes staring into his the whole time. Something blossomed in her as well. It squeezed her heart and made her fingertips tingle. She wanted to reach out and-

When Tobi tucks her hair back she sits there in absolute silence for a moment, just staring at him. She didn't know what this was. She hadn't felt anything like this before. After a beat, she breaks the stare "Thanks... Sorry."

She wasn't sure what she was apologizing for. Her tangled hair? Distracting him? She couldn't decide. But she stays beside him anyways, putting her head on his chest again. She listened to his heartbeat again. Steady. Constant. Firm. She needed that metronome to pound that rhythm into her ear. After another moment, she takes off her glasses and reaches over to place them on the top of the mini fridge. She has officially decided that she was going to stay longer than she expected when they agreed to hang out that night.
HerpdaDerp

Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:20 am
She's staring at him now, and boy, that makes something in his chest do strange things. There's a tightness and a slight nausea, but it's not unbearable. It's almost like dangling on the precipice of some large cliff. He's sitting at the edge of something huge, his feet dangling right off the side; so close to falling that one push would send him right over the edge and into whatever unknown waits at the bottom. All he's gotta do is lean in and-

"Ain't no thing." he's not sure what she's apologizing for, and he's not sure what he's accepting. Whatever it is, it snaps his focus right back. She leans her head on his chest and he sucks in a soft shuddering breath. Right. Guess she's staying the night, not that he minds. He settles her in a more comfortable position for the both of them, tugs the quilt closer around the two of them, and wraps his arms snugly around her.

'This is good,' he decides as his eyes slowly drift closed and he sinks into sleep. 'This is good."
Cantaclarac
Admin

Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:39 am
Noelle lays there, Tobi's arms around her. Safe. Secure. She hears his heartbeat start to quicken as they readjust, but she doesn't mind it. It felt as if she had a comforting weight on top of her, comforting her to no ends. But part of her felt immensely guilty about how the larger part of her felt happy. She knew the morning would come and she would meet with Evan and no be able to stand up for herself. She knew that Tobi was a part of her life that she needed, but she couldn't have it. Not until she actually dealt with Evan. She knew that she would have to make a much bigger choice and she knew that she wasn't ready to do that.

But none of that mattered right now. What did matter was that she had this moment with him, that he was there for her completely and she was there for him. Noelle knew that Tobi was going to fall asleep soon, but she was less confident about herself. She didn't sleep much as it was, but her fears would bubble up and spiral in her thoughts. She wanted to hear more from him but didn't want to bother him. But a couple of quick questions would be enough.

The heat from his body and the quilt brought her a comforting warmth. In a small voice, she asks politely "Tobi? What's your favorite song?"

God.That sounded so stupid coming out of her mouth.
HerpdaDerp

Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:03 am
"Mmm?" he rumbles. "Favorite song..." he's definitely pliant with sleep. She could ask him most anything right now as warm and comfortable as he is. "There were one, when I'still lived in Mt. Airy." His lips pull up in a soft yawn, exposing teeth just a touch less wild than Agnes's. The yawn fades into a sleepy smile as he thinks about his answer. "Ma used t'take us inta town some evenin's. There were a band, played some nights. Known for bluegrass, that town." He pauses, blinks. "She'd buy us snacks and we'd stop an' watch for ahwhile. They'd play one that she knew, hum along to. Seein' her love tha' song? Favorite song." he finishes.

"Never remember what it's called."
Cantaclarac
Admin

Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:12 am
Noelle breathes deeply as he speaks, hanging on each word. The mental portrait of Tobi had sharpened and focused so much, but she still wanted to know so much about him. His life, his past, and everything in between. She felt a tug in her stomach. She wanted to ask him something really important. But saying it aloud was too risky right now. She couldn't even confront it within herself, so how could she expect Tobi to? But she wanted so bad to have him hold her like this.

There's a silence when he finishes, and she decides to ask another softball question "What was Mt. Airy like?"

It wasn't the question that was burning her, but she was going to hold that question for a little while.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum