X-Men: Renewed
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
HerpdaDerp

Highmauve: Noelle's Dorm - Page 4 Empty Re: Highmauve: Noelle's Dorm

Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:50 am
His attention taken by Noelle and her sister, it takes him a minute to realize there's someone approaching him. He turns his head to find the person. It's a tall woman carrying a large box; she bears a striking resemblance to Noelle. She's approaching him with a singular focus and intensity, as if her one purpose in that moment was to greet him. He remembers that same friendly intensity on the phone, knows who this is.

'Mus' be the ma'.' he thinks and braces himself. Nothing happens though.

She stops a few feet away, just far enough as to not invade his personal space, and flashes him a friendly smile. It feels genuine to him though he's not surprised. He remembers the phone call, remembers her authenticity, her genuine gratitude, her abundant praise and kindness. Tobi's a little less flustered this time around, a little less red in the face,though this maybe wasn't the outfit he would have wanted to meet her first in. He stands straight and proud as she asks him her question.

"Yes ma'am." he dips his head in response. "I'm assumin' Mrs. Scott. Ple'sure." He meets her gaze with his own cool grey. There's nothing standoffish in his stare, just a warm respect.

It takes him another minute to notice the small girl next to Noelle. She's squinting at him like she's trying to figure something out. What it is, he can't tell.
Cantaclarac
Admin
https://xmen-renewed.forumotion.com

Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:03 am
Karen places the box, carefully on the ground, and reaches a hand out for a handshake. Knowing this boy, a hug was not the right way to go around this. Mentally, she inspected him herself, comparing her to her daughter. She smiles. They were mighty cunning next to each other, she could tell. Her eyes crinkle as her smile grows "I'm so happy I get ta meet ya in person, Tobi. Noelle almost' convinced me to drop huh off. Glad I didn'."

Her accent is in stark contrast with her appearance. She knows this. With her delicate features, she looked almost nymph-like, but the accent threw everyone for a loop. Of course, she was thrilled to hear Tobi's own. Appalachian for sure. And strong looking. Tall, distinguished, and a quiet reassurance. Yes, Karen approved 100%. She trusted herself as a very good judge in character, a skill she had cultivated over the years. "I know I'm a touch oversteppin' it-" She flicks her eye to Noelle, not unkindly, just teasing. Noelle blushes and looks away "-but, I do wan' to thank ya in person fo' everythin' you've done. I know you said tha' it was the righ' thin' to do, and I do realize tha', but please realize tha' this is so much bigger than tha'. I haven' seen my girl smile this much in I don' how lon'. Tha' is naht an easy feat."

Joy squints her eyes at Tobi, and leans up to Noelle, whispering loudly "He is VERY tall, Noelle"

Noelle holds back a laugh, her smile returning to her lips. She puts her own boxes down, and her sister climbs on her back, deftly.
HerpdaDerp

Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:38 am
Tobi looks down at her offered hand for a beat before taking it. His grip is strong and sure and he shakes with an easy confidence. “Ple’sure’s all mine.” He responds with a nod. “Gla’ I get t’meet you face t’face. Phone’s always been a little difficult f’me.” He admits with a small shrug. She’s much easier to understand in person, and he’s always liked to have a face to put with a voice.

He must admit though, he was expecting something a little different. She’s tall and lithe, with an elegance like his own Ma’ and a heavy accent that mars her words with a heavy beat. He likes it honestly. Reminds him a little of his family’s heavy way of speaking. It’s not quite the same, but it’s familiar enough to be comforting. She’s thanking him again now with a little less intensity than she did over the phone. He raises a hand to rub at the back of his neck in a nervous habit he’s never quite kicked.

“Well, thank y’kindly, ma’am.” He replies. He smiles just a touch in response. “Ain’t no thing. Kid needed a fist t’ the nose same way a drownin’ man needs air. And I ratha’ like makin’ her smile.” He says it confidently, as if it’s the one thing in his life he’s sure about.

At the little girl’s whisper, he looks over. She’s climbed up onto Noelle with a monkey’s skill and is now peering at him from above Noelle’s thin shoulders. Tobi meets her glance easily. “Who’s th’ little squirt?” he asks Noelle, his lips still ticked up in a small smile.
Cantaclarac
Admin

Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:54 am
Karen shakes his hand back, her own grip firm and warm. She gives a small gasp, and smiles, looking back Noelle "Bless his haht." She turns back to Tobi and titls her head a smidgen "I'm so glad to hear tha'. And I completely agree with you abou' tha' boy."

She breaks the handshake and steps aside so Tobi can get a look of at her chimpanzee of a child. She believed that, as long as they were polite, safe, and respectful in the correct settings, her kids could fill the time they were idle with whatever they want. With Noelle, it was reading anything she could get her hands on. With Joy, on the other hand, she climbed on anything and anyone she saw fit. When they could afford it, Karen would take her to gymnastics and watch her swing and tumble across the mats.

Joy squints her eyes back at Tobi, and then hoists herself up onto Noelle's shoulders, now towering above him. Noelle instinctively locks her arms around her sister's legs, but she looks at Tobi, smiling sheepishly "This is Joy Joy this is-"

"I know who he is." She looks down at Noelle and rolls her eyes, but she's still beaming. And then, she looks down at Tobi "And who you callin' little?" Both Noelle and Joy can't help but laugh. While Noelle's is stifled, Joy's cheerful cackle filled the air.
HerpdaDerp

Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:15 pm
Tobi takes in the scene before him with amusement. This kid’s all spunk; there’s a little bit there that reminds him of his own sister. She’s a spitfire, that’s for sure.

“I’m callin’ you lit’le, squirt.” He looks up at her as he drawls out the last word slow, locks his own cool grey eyes with hers. Kids like her never scare easy, but they rile up without much a fight. Tobi’s always enjoyed kids, their simple lives, their easy conversation, their playfulness. And they appreciate him. He’s always been patient, easily approachable, with a calm demeanor and protective aura.

It also helps that he could give piggybacks to at least four children at a time. Kids love piggybacks.
Cantaclarac
Admin

Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:27 pm
Joy squints her eyes again but then leans down to meet Noelle's eyes "Okay. I like him. He's good. I can tell."

In one swift movement, Joy flips herself backward, so she is now laying flat on Noelle's back. The little girl locks her legs in place as Noelle holds onto her arms. Joy completely flips herself off of her sister's back, marching right up to Tobi, looking up at him "You're really tall." She then walks around him, her eyes not leaving his person. Eventually, she makes her way around and grins "Gonna have to be honest- I thought Noelle made you up. Seemed to good to be true."

"Shut up!" Noelle blushes. The way her family was talking about Tobi was mortifying. Between her mother's extended praise and Joy's slight comments, Noelle was unsure if she was going to make the day unscathed.

Fortunately, her mother caught on and smiles, looking at Joy "Hey, why don' we go ge' No's room all se' up. We can meet huh back here in a lil while. Meet fuh early dinnuh. O' course, Tobi, you are invited."

Joy groans, but looks at Tobi, as if to say "I'll deal with you later. I've got a million questions." She points to the box with the trees that lay nearby "That's from us. You should open it. I decorated the box. Thought it would really represent you."

It's literally just trees. Trees of varying sizes and colors, but trees all the same. Noelle had no clue where her sister got her sense of humor, but it was really weird. But she loved it all the same. Noelle smiles at Tobi "I can carry it back with you to your dorm? If you want?"
HerpdaDerp

Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:24 am
Tobi stand still and solid as the young girl turns around him. His stance shifts as he crosses his arms over his chest and leaves her to her inspection. He respects kids and they’re decisions, though hopefully whatever she comes up with is kind to him, hopes she isn’t looking at his clothing choice. He hardly thinks a kid her age would put too much stock in his sweatpants, but this one seems to have quite a bit of sass for her size.

He snorts out a laugh with her evaluation and looks over at Noelle. “You tellin’ em I’m kin t’the sun or what?” he raises an eyebrow at her, watches her blush. He likes this, seeing her with her family. She’s more relaxed and more comfortable. Makes him feel good too, the way they’re trying to include him.

“Aw, ma’am, I’d love tah if you’ll have me.” He says even as he watches the girl out of the corner of his eye. There’s so much going on right now, but it’s the good kind of overwhelming. He’s glad though, when Noelle offers to walk with him back to his room. He could use a quiet walk.

He hefts the box up with one hand onto his shoulder. “Thank y’kindly.” He looks over at the box, sees the trees. It’s heartwarming, honestly. “’preciate the drawin’s. Look mighty good.” He nods at the girl, turns his head to Noelle. “Lead the way.”
Cantaclarac
Admin

Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:35 am
Noelle hugs her mother and ruffles her sister's hair before setting off towards Tobi's dorm building.

She chooses to ignore her sister's kissy faces and her mother's knowing stare. It would only make her face even redder.

Once they are a couple steps away, Noelle can't help but reach over to Tobi's free hand, holding it in her own. Her fingers intertwine with his, and a soft smile plays on her lips. She had missed so many things about being with the boy, things she hadn't even had that much experience with. But holding hands was fairly close to the top of her list. Once they were out of sight, Noelle leans over and gives him a quick peck on the cheek.

They walk in silence. She has questions and quite a few things she wanted to talk about, but she just wants to enjoy his presence in her space. She was quite pleased that he seemed to like her family, despite their insanity. She loved Joy, but she was a precocious child who said whatever came to her mind, and Noelle knew that some people didn't appreciate that as she did. Her mother was in the same category- many people dismissed her as a try hard, but Noelle knew her mother cared for any kind soul that had crossed their paths. Which is why she now had so many friends.

Once they reach the building, Noelle looks at Tobi "By the way, I apologize in advance for the package. My mom went a little overboard. Shocker, I know." Her smile is apologetic, but she had a hand in a couple of things that her mother had packed. She really hoped that he would like it- her mother had Noelle rack her brain for anything and everything he would like. Nervousness twisted in her gut, but she didn't show it.
HerpdaDerp

Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:37 am
"I don' min', I did tell 'er t'pack whate'er." Tobi shrugs, a little sheepish.

They walk in quiet peace towards Tobi's dorm room. A couple steps in, Noelle takes his hand. He missed this, he realizes, missed her. His hand squeezes hers back gently, careful not to crush her hand. It's an easy comfort and a simple one, but he usually likes those the most. Something like a cool breeze on a warm fall day, the sun hitting him just right, the smell of a warm cup of coffee after a long day. It's something like the warm lining of his slippers, like the ease of a lazy day, like the burn in his muscles after a long run or a tough day of work. A unexpected peck on the cheek from a girl he liked. Simple pleasures.

Course, walking the short distance to his dorm room, he couldn't help but think what was in the box on his shoulder. He honestly had no idea. His own parents were his only point of reference, but Noelle's own mom was too different for the contents to be even remotely similar. He found himself thinking back to what he had heard others talk about when they had gotten their own care packages. Time and again, he had been offered gifts from his own floormate's packages: chocolate, homemade baked goods, trail mix, a ramen pack or two. One of his favorite floor mates had offered him a couple bags of tea and some strangely spiced nut mix. That had been his favorite. It honestly felt like his charges felt like they had to offer tithes to the strange mutant RA every time they came into some sort of fortune. Not that he minded, that tea had been pretty good.

They climbed steps, then more steps, then into his dorm room. His own belongings were still in a large duffel bag from his visit home. He hadn't bothered yet to unpack them. The box on his shoulder is carefully removed and placed as gently as he can on top of the bed. There he leaves it.

"Ai'ight." he breathes in and pops open the top flaps of the box with a deft hand. He's a little nervous, he's got to admit.
Cantaclarac
Admin

Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:43 am
Noelle's eyes spark with excitement as he opens the top, which flips out easily, while everything was packed in tightly, it was a lot of things. Once the box was opened, it would reveal the over the top and gracious attitude that was Karen Scott.

The biggest items were the most visible. Three large bags of coffee beans, the darkest roast she could find, were stacked on top of each other neatly. Noelle had noted the ancient coffee maker in on his floor's kitchen and her mom used that information. Next were two, large hand-knit sweaters- one green, the other grey. Noelle had begun the grey one a little while ago as a project, but she had Joy and her mother help her finish it up, and the other was found in the back of a closet in their home. The stitching on each was impeccably even and strong, and the sweater was soft to the touch.

Wrapped in parchment paper and wrapped in twine was 2 fresh loaves of bread that Karen had finished baking just before they left. One was a cracked whole wheat, the other was a sourdough. They are both still a little warm to the touch. There are a couple of homemade, lightly scented candles and soap, which make the box smell fantastic. A new coffee thermos also lays flat in the box, next to a Ziploc bag of homemade potato chips and pretzels, as well as a Tupperware container of hummus. A bag of grapes was still cold, and it was next to a small jar of fresh oats.

There were a couple of customary “college kid” items as well: A bottle of detergent, dryer sheets, toothpaste, an extra phone charger, and all natural chapstick. These were things that Noelle said were not nessacary, but Karen knew he could use as an RA, with all of the poor, forgetful freshmen that he was in charge of. ‘Not you, sweetie.’ She had said. Which was a lie- Noelle had asked her for dryer sheets often. She always seemed to misplace her box somehow.

Stuffed between everything are a couple pairs of hand knitted, thick socks and stationary. Lastly, a handmade card from Joy lay on top of the heap of presents. It’s a simple card but has some drawn trees, animals, and mountains. On the inside, it says “Thank you for being nice to my sister. She can be weird! Joy”

There is also a handwritten note from Karen that reads simply, in elegant and stylish cursive: “Thank you for everything that you do. I hope I did alright. Please, call or write anytime. Love, Karen.”

Noelle watches his face carefully. For a moment, she was afraid that she had pegged him all wrong, that he would hate every last thing in the box. But she waited patiently for his response.
HerpdaDerp

Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:12 pm
Tobi stands there, staring inside the box at its contents. There’s no real tell how he’s feeling on his face as he reaches a hand in and starts rooting around. He pulls out the coffee beans, sniffs them, sets them aside. The sweaters come next. He turns them over in his hands and runs his fingers against the knitted fabric. His fingers push against the stitches as he takes in the sensation. He puts that aside, picks up the two loaves of bread and sniffs at them, puts those down.

There’s still more in the box. He can’t believe there’s more in the box. This was so much, and each of it homemade with him in mind. There are candles, soap, a coffee thermos. He had needed a new one so bad, but just had never gotten around to getting one; the money was just never there. Next to that, chips and pretzels and a small container of some kind of… paste? He pops the lid open, sniffs at it, then dips a finger in to taste it. It’s savory, salty, and a taste he’s not really ever had before. He finds he likes it.

And there’s still more. Items he can use, items for his floor mates, so much he can use, that he needed. He looks at the pile of items on his bed, the mass of it, and thinks of the thought that had gone into it. There was literally nothing in that box that he either wouldn’t use or didn’t appreciate. He picks up one of the sweaters again, runs his fingers over it before sliding it on. It’s so soft and so warm. It feels like something his own parents would have made him, but it’s not. It’s something Noelle and her family made him. The thought is overwhelming.

He turns around towards Noelle, his grey eyes shining with gratitude.

“Thank ya.” He says, voice a little choked. “You and y’family. Thank ya.”
Cantaclarac
Admin

Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:18 pm
Noelle watches him retrieve the items, her eyes following them one by one.

As much as she would like to say that this was 100% her mother, Noelle knew the truth that she and her sister put a lot of TLC in this package as well. When Tobi began to touch the sweaters, she couldn't help but think of him as inspecting their quality, their worth. She secretly hoped that he wouldn't compare it to the others his family had made. Noelle's skill was good but not as good as refined as someone that had been doing this their whole lives,

She notices a slight hesitation after the loaves of bread- as if to say "There's more?" in extremely subtle body language. He begins to take out the candles and soap that Karen had made over the years and stored for occasions like this. The thermos, which Noelle's mother had picked out- thick and navy in color. The rest of the homemade snacks that had been worked on whenever her mother had a spare moment. And everything else- Noelle's pulse quickened as he picks up the sweater and slides it on. She feels a nervous lurch in her stomach, but when he turns to her she sees the look in his eyes and melts all over again.

The gifts were correct. She couldn't help but feel as if she had passed some kind of silent test with herself. The kind of test that was given by a troll under a bridge "Yes. You are Worthy" She listened to him, and gives a small smile, moving closer to him. "Of course. You know my mom now- she's a pretty great judge of character... She asked about you, and I tried to give as much information as possible. They're going to be so happy that you liked it..."

She stops and actually looks at him in his new sweater. It clung to his body quite nicely, which relived her. She obviously hadn't taken his measurements and had a lot of guesswork when she started it a couple weeks ago. HE was wearing her sweater.

Oh my god.

He was wearing her sweater. Something she made. Something she spent quite a bit of time on. Noelle suddenly felt very sheepish, her cheeks turning a dark crimson.
HerpdaDerp

Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:30 pm
Tobi exhales a shaky breath. “Yeah, I know’er now. Hadn’t expected her t’pack this much tho’. This is…” he runs a hand through his hair, eyes a little wider than usual. They flick back between the box and Noelle. “I jus’,”

He closes his eyes, smiles. When he opens them again they’re directed at Noelle, warm and fond. “Jus’ ain’t used to a box wi’out some sort’a skull innit.” A laugh puffs out. He’s not quite sure what to do with all this gratitude bubbling up in him, doesn’t know how to express it proper. His body leans closer into her space, gravitating towards without any thought on his part.

“I love it.” He replies, fully meaning all of it. “I really do.”

He watches her for a moment, noticing how her eyes run up and down his frame and linger on the sweater. Red blooms across her cheeks, and ain’t that just curious. It ain’t like it’s fitting too snug or looks funny on him. He thought it fit fine and the color was really nice, it was handmade and warm, and… oh. Handmade. She had made this probably, fitted just for him. His own cheeks burn a bit, nothing too noticeable, just a slight flush under the freckles.

She had made this for him, his brain repeats. Just for him. She thought about him while making it, had put in the time and effort for him. He smiles and reaches out a hand to pull her in closer with a small gentle tug. His lips meet hers in a soft, gentle kiss. He’s grateful, he’s thankful, he’s overwhelmed with this kindness.

“’Preciate it.” He says when they break. “Sweater most of all.”
Cantaclarac
Admin

Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:41 pm
Noelle kisses back, tenderly and lovingly. This. This was on the top of her list of what she missed most of all.

Alright, it was second. She missed having him in her space.

But it was a pretty close second. She let her hands wrap around his neck, tilting her head ever so slightly. Her eyes close, and she gets lost with him for a moment. When they break, Noelle doesn't step away. She wanted to be this close to him for as long as she could. A real and full smile breaks out when he mentions the sweater "You like it? Really? Like, you aren't just saying that, right?"

"Of course he likes it, dummy. He's wearing it" She tells herself. But she doesn't care. She had made something and he had worn it and it was something she poured time and thought into.

"And it's no problem. You can probably expect something like this once a month now. Maybe not as much. Except for your birthday. And Christmas. And any other major holiday." She stares into him, her eyes crinkling a little bit into her smile, which only grows.
HerpdaDerp

Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:26 pm
Tobi snorts out a laugh. “Course I like it, I’m wearin’ it, ain’t I?” He clasps his hands around her waist. “When ‘ave you `e’er know me t’lie?”

He had missed her during his little break at his parent’s house. It had been a beautiful reunion for sure, and he had missed his parents so much. The woods were just a beautiful as he remembered even if they were a little different than his childhood home. There was a different cadence to the landscape, a little different beat to the sounds of the forest. His steps had hit the slope of the land a bit shaky as he walked through with his Ma, ran through with his Pa. It had been one of the most amazing weeks of his life and he had thought, very briefly but seriously, of staying there with his parents.

There was a peace there late at night with the stars above him, fireflies around him, and the frogs and bugs of the forest chirping their white noise that he just hadn’t found anywhere else since he had left with his sister. He could use his powers as frequently as he wished without fear of the consequences. There was no one else in his space, no one to bother him or throw punches at him. Just the people he loved most in the world.

Well. Most of them, anyway.

One had been missing. She had been the one to pull him back out of those woods, to pull him from under the stars and back into the small space of his dorm room. He had missed her here in his arms, her against him, her lips against his, her soft eyes, her sharp wit, everything. She made the bite of homesickness ease a little in his heart and made the pull of the forest hurt a little less. And now with her family welcoming him into their lives? Well now he felt like he had a place in both worlds.

The sweater’s just another tipping point in a long string of falls for this girl.

“Sounds like a lot.” He says in place of any of this. “I ain’t sure if I got the room for any more a’these.” His tone is teasing as he motions towards the box behind him.
Cantaclarac
Admin

Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:40 pm
"I just want to make sure. Don't ever feel like you have to soften the blow for me." Noelle knew he wasn't lying, but it was in her nature to self-doubt.

I know. They end up piled up in my room until I have to replace supplies." She leans into his arms, staring at him "They really like you, you know? Also, all I am going to say is that they are exaggerating how much I talk about you. They're the ones that ask about you all the time." This was a partial lie. She couldn't help but talk about him whenever she had a chance. She had never felt this way about anyone.

It was crazy to think about where she was only a couple months ago before she had met him. He was such a crucial part of her life. She didn't know what it was- fondness, love, finding her other half. She knew it was ridiculous to think of it that way, but everything felt so real with him. Noelle could not think about having anyone else like this in her life. She would never admit it because she didn't want to seem obsessive, but she started to think about the rest of the year, the rest of her career with him by her side. It was comforting to her.

Admitting this would be the end of her. She didn't want to ruin this by being over-bearing, by pushing him away. But she had never had this. And she didn't even know what this was. Were they dating? Boyfriend/Girlfriend? All she knew was that she liked being with him. The way he looked at her, the way he held her, the way he kissed her. It was enough to undo her.
HerpdaDerp

Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:31 pm
"Aw, darlin', you hush." He chides lightly. "You know you just about the heaven to my earth." He'd never want to hurt her feelings, but he was an honest man. His family raised him proper, always told him to tell the truth. He isn't lying about liking the sweater; it's soft, warm, and she made it. Makes him happy just thinking about it.

He begins to rock the two of them back and forth softly, a gentle imitation of the slow dancing from homecoming night. He hums a slow song to go with it. The tune echoes low in his chest, rumbling through his frame. "Mighty glad your family likes me." he hums soft. "You'll 'ave to meet mine sometime, least formally. I know Ma's already met ya. Pa were mighty interested when I told him bought ya." He leans in to kiss her nose playfully.

She's so cute, he thinks. It's all he can think when she's this close. He gets distracted so easily when she's right in front of him.
Cantaclarac
Admin

Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:41 pm
Noelle makes a small noise, between a gasp and a sigh when he speaks. "Heaven to my earth. I like that..." She speaks out loud, but it was mainly to herself. She stored it in her mind for later.

She places her head on his shoulder, feeling the humming vibrate into her bones. She closes her eyes for a moment. This was nice. She could get used to this.

When he starts to speak again, she perks up. "I want to meet your family too. Your mother is wonderful. You thanked her for the necklace, right?" She looks down at it, how it was trapped between the two of them "And from what I have heard, your father sounds amazing as well. You just come from an incredible family."

She glowed when he mentioned that he had talked to his parents about her, but it was nothing compared to the peck on the nose. She beams at him, squeezing him gently. "You're incredible. I missed you. So much."

In her back pocket, her phone buzzed. Her mother was wondering where they should meet up. She ignores it. She can answer in a moment. She would much rather be here. She placed her head on his shoulder again, sighing happily. Every moment with him just made her life better. She felt so at peace.
HerpdaDerp

Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:31 pm
“Sure did. She says y’r welcome. Invited you o’er for dinner one of these days.” He hums in response. “Pa’s gettin’ jealous he the only one who ain’t meet you yet.” Tobi rolls his eyes. He had been asking all sorts of questions about Noelle after his Ma and Agnes had opened that door. What was she like, what did she like, how did they meet, stuff like that. He’d been grilling Tobi all week every time they had been alone. Though he loved his Pa to death, the man was a sucker for really mushy romantic stuff, and the story Agnes told him of homecoming had all the hallmarks of a soap opera. His dad was starving for details.

He’d even sent Tobi back with his own present for Noelle. He and Agnes had agreed on the way down that a box of tiny bird feet would be better used for a drunk crafts night than as Noelle’s first experience with their very sweet, trying-his-best Pa. Tobi supposed it was the thought that counted as he shoved the box next to the larger one underneath his bed.

He listens to her praise, blushes just the tiniest amount. “Just got someone bringin’ out the best in me, I ‘spose.” He says to her.

“Missed you too.” He says, lower this time, only for her.
Cantaclarac
Admin

Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:41 pm
"I do too. Have someone bringing out the best of me, I mean." She murmurs softly into his ear. Noelle holds onto him as he admits that he missed her, squeezing again. She wanted to just... Say what she was thinking. What he means to her. Even though it was crazy, even though they had only known each other for a little while, she knew what she was felt right now. "Tobi, I-"

She breaks off as her phone buzzes again. She sighs and breaks their embrace, pulling out her phone. She opens the text and looks back at him "My mom is wondering if we're ready for dinner. They're in town now."

Noelle's confidence and self-assured admission were now dashed. It took that moment to work her up to say what she was thinking, but she decided that there were going to be many moments. Just like their first kiss, she knew that moment would be right and she would know it. It might not happen tonight- especially with her sister and her mother being who they were, they would make it into something large, when Noelle really wanted it to match their other milestones. Simple. Raw. Pure.

She looked at Tobi and her smile returns, just softer. The walk into town would be one of those moments, she suspected. She wanted to hear all about his week home, every detail.
HerpdaDerp

Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:01 pm
Tobi lets her go as she answers the text. He’s a little curious as to what she was going to say, but lets it drop. If it was important, she’d tell him later.

He looks down at himself after she asks him if he’s ready for dinner. He’s still wearing his slippers and sweatpants, along with the new sweater. The sweater was still fine for a night out, he figured, but the pants and slippers had to go. He moves to his small closet, grabs a pair of nicer jeans. These ones at least don’t have holes in them. He figures her mom isn’t too picky, but it never hurts.

“If you don’ mind, I’d prob’ly change into something a little better’n sweats.” He says. “Jus’ take a minute.”

He moves to the door. “Jus’ a sec.” He repeats as he slips out towards the bathroom and leaves her alone in his dorm room.
Cantaclarac
Admin

Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:14 pm
"Of Course."

She sits on the couch, running her hands across the material. This couch already held so many memories. She replayed them in her head

When they both fell asleep, her hand tangled in his, the warmth and safety she felt, practically glued to him. How she kissed his temple the next morning, although he didn't remember that. His weight and how he untangled her glasses.

Then homecoming, where she sat and watched him almost the entire night, talked to his sister, saw his mother, signed to her. She felt a certain comradery with his family- that she had helped them come together again, that Agnes had been so open with her. It made her feel like she was a part of something. Noelle spent so much of her time isolating herself from everything, she was glad that she found someone that made her open up, even if it was a little bit.

She begins to look around, and texts her mom back, patiently waiting. She notices a pile of mail on Tobi's desk as well as a couple of boxes under his desk. Including the box of books she had seen a couple weeks ago. But she decided that the last thing she wanted to do was breach trust and snoop. You don't do that sort of thing with the people that you love.

Oh.

There it was.

She physically tenses, almost squeezing the feeling into her. Then, she smooths out her hair and begins to pick at an invisible spot on her pants. Love. It was a funny thing. And something she hadn;t felt too often- her mom and sister. But she knew this was love. Not just fondness or attraction. Love.
HerpdaDerp

Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:24 am
“Got pants.” Tobi announces as he comes back into the room a couple minutes later.

He’s dressed in the jeans he took with him and the sweater that Noelle had made him. The jeans are some of his nicer ones, but they’re still a little scuffed and a little worn. The sweater, he thinks, is perfect. He moves over to the bed to grab his shoes and takes them over to the couch.

He plops gracelessly onto the couch next to Noelle. The couch sinks underneath him as he does. A lot has happened on the couch, a lot involving the girl next to him. The night she came over stills at the forefront of his mind. While he doesn’t remember a lot of it, he remembers how he felt and the realization that came with it. He leans against her as he ties his shoes, the heavy weight of his frame pressed against her side. Feet are stuffed into the shoes, laces are tied, and feet put back down on the floor. He stays pressed against her side though.

“Ready then?” he hums out.
Cantaclarac
Admin

Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:34 am
Noelle laughs and leans against him, giggling very softly "Yeah, let's do it." She gives him a quick peck on the cheek and stands up. She was ready for a brisk walk into town, talking with Tobi.

As they step out of his building, she holds his hand in her own. Noelle feels absolutely at peace and happy. She was so glad that they were able to occupy each other's spaces with such ease. She knew as soon as they got into town, she wouldn't be able to enjoy it as much due to her mother and sister and their eyes.

But she also had something that she really wanted to ask him. Well, two things. But one of them was an easy answer.

"So, who's Georgia?" It's not malicious in any way, as her eyes sparkle with her teasing nature. She squeezes his hand, good-naturedly, and a smile gently plays on her lips. Noelle knew Georgia from a Gen Ed class she was taking, so she had recognized her at the dance. And she was not someone that Noelle would associate with Tobi. Not in a bad way. They were just in two different realms. So she was curious how the popular dancer became so intent on dancing with Tobi. She knew it would be a story.
HerpdaDerp

Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:56 am
Tobi hadn’t been expecting that question. “Ah, well…” his free hand comes up to rub at his neck. “She the leader a’the dance club. I ‘spose you know that, though. She’s pretty well known.”

He pauses for a moment and gathers his thoughts. It’s not a bad story, just embarrassing. “Y’ know how we gotta be apart of clubs for this whole scholarship thing? Well, my first year, nothin’ fit in my schedule. Almost nothin’ that is. Dance was at the perfect time, so I joined.” He sighs.

“So I went to that firs’ meetin’, and Georgia were there. She latched onto me real quick. I were strong enough to do whate’er moves she needed done; all sorts of lifts, twirls, some fancy shit I don’t remember the names of. She loved dancin’ with me. And you know me. Ne’er do anythin’ half way. We got real good. Well,” he pauses. “I got real good. She was already real good. Smooth as the wind through trees, she taught me e’erthing.”

“We went to all sorts of competitions, won a couple of ‘em. Had a tango routine that could knock your socks off.” He shrugs. “She been tryin’ to get me t’join back up after I quit this year.”

He looks down at the ground and chuffs out a laugh. “Ain’t nothin’ too special. She’s a lot, but ‘er bark’s always been bigger than her bite. I’m glad y’scared her off though. Much rather be dancin’ with you.”

He rubs the pad of his thumb against her hand in his. It's the truth. He'd been secretly pleased when she had come and stolen him away. Georgia could be a little forceful and he knew if he had caved even once that night, she would have monopolized him every dance until closing. He was much happier with his one dance with Noelle than a whole night with Georgia.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum